Or maybe I should call them Cheese Crisps… I bake them and they don’t really look like the photo from the original recipe…
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3/4 cup butter, chilled
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons cold water, or as needed
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, salt, white pepper and mustard.
- Cut in butter with a fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in Cheddar cheese.
- Stir in water one tablespoon at a time, until the dough is able to hold together.
- Press the mixture into a ball, wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a rectangle that is 16×12 inches. The dough should be about 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut into 1×3 inch strips.
- Place the strips onto the prepared baking sheets spaced about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden and crispy. Cool completely before storing.
They turn out to be more like butter shortbread cookies than crackers… but the cheese still tastes good. Oh well, gotta try another cracker recipe next time~